Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an AA-T and AS-T Degree? 

AA-T and AS-T are acronyms for Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees that are designed specifically for transfer to the California State University System.  The degrees are the results of Senate Bill 1440, a transfer bill that required the California Community Colleges to offer associate degrees for transfer in many of the most popular majors, and for the CSU to provide priority admission to California Community College students who have earned an AA-T or AS-T degree.  These degrees can be completed in 60 transferable semester units (or 90 quarter units) and include coursework in general education, major preparation and electives.

I want to get one of these degrees. Where do I start?

We’ve included a quick tips list on our Get Started page for high school, community college and in-between students. Students can see their high school or community college counselor for more information. 

How are the AA-T and AS-T degrees different from the associate degrees that community colleges already offer?

Students completing an AA-T or AS-T degree receive priority admission to the CSU system. Students who have completed an AA-T or AS-T and are admitted to a CSU major that has been deemed similar are guaranteed admission at junior standing, and the opportunity to complete a baccalaureate degree with 60 additional semester (or 90 quarter) units.  AA-T and AS-T degrees are recognized by both the California Community College and CSU systems as a measure of preparation and readiness for transfer to upper-division course work at the CSU.

What does it mean when you say “a degree with a guarantee”?

This program guarantees that students who earn an AA-T or AS-T degree from a California Community College will be admitted to a California State University campus. The campus you will be admitted to depends on several factors, such as the location of your community college, the program of study that a student intends to follow, and a student’s  competitiveness for admission.  The program also guarantees a student will enter the CSU system at junior standing, and only need to complete 60 additional semester units (or 90 quarter units) to earn a bachelor’s degree in a CSU program that has been deemed as similar.

What is the benefit of earning an AA-T or AS-T degree?

Besides the benefit of completing community college coursework with an associate degree in hand, this program also provides students with the necessary preparation to transfer to the CSU system and complete a baccalaureate degree.  Students with an AA-T or AS-T degree receive admission priority and guaranteed admission with junior status to the CSU system, along with the ability to complete a baccalaureate degree with only 60 additional semester units (or 90 quarter units) in a degree program that has been deemed similar.

What are the requirements for earning an AA-T and AS-T degree?

Students interested in the program should talk with their high school or community college counselor for more information. Community college students should work with their college transfer advisors to develop an academic plan that includes the specific course requirements for their degree goals.  In general, a student will be required to complete 60 transferable semester units (or 90 quarter units), which includes coursework in general education, major preparation and elective courses.

How do I find out what my local CSU is?

CSU campuses that have access demands beyond the resources available to serve students have defined a local admission area for transfer students as a measure of enrollment management. For students completing an AA-T or AS-T degree and applying to a campus that is campus impacted, the local CSU campus is determined based on the community college that has awarded the degree.

What degrees does my local community college offer? How do I tell which CSU campuses offer bachelor’s degrees “similar to” my AA-T/AS-T degree?

Check out the Degrees page of this website for a full list of degrees. Each degree will feature a list of community colleges and CSUs that offer degrees within that academic area. Major or degree names will vary from campus to campus. Students should also visit their community college counselor for more information and advice. 

What should I do if the AA-T or AS-T degree I want isn’t offered at my college?

If a student is interested in a particular major and the degree isn’t offered at their community college, they should visit with a community college transfer counselor to discuss their options.  In some instances the degree may be available at a nearby community college, or a student may have the option of preparing for transfer without receiving an AA-T or AS-T degree.

When are new AA-T and AS-T degrees added? How do I tell?

We keep this website updated as new degrees are added. Check out the Updates page to see what’s new.

What if I can’t attend the CSU that I am admitted to (for distance or other reason)?

We encourage students to apply to more than one CSU campus offering their major. However, if a student is not admitted to the CSU of their choice, their application may be redirected to one or more alternative CSU campuses that offer the similar program and have admission capacity.  It will be up to the student to evaluate each admission opportunity to determine which option is best for them.

Can I still apply to a CSU that doesn’t offer a bachelor’s degree that has been deemed similar to my AA-T or AS-T degree?

 Yes, however applying for admission into a program that is not deemed similar does not guarantee a student will be able to complete the baccalaureate degree in 60 additional semester units (or 90 quarter units) after transfer.  Additional coursework may be required.  Also, the other benefits, such as guaranteed admission and having admission priority, are lost. 

In this program, do I still need to officially apply to the CSU, or will I just be notified of where I am admitted?

 Yes, students must apply and meet all of the CSU admission requirements and deadlines.  Students should follow the Important Dates page and, when it is time to apply for transfer to the CSU, a student can do so via CSU Mentor at  During the application process a student will have an opportunity to identify themself as an AA-T or AS-T student.